Friday, August 14, 2009

Part ll : our first week in Taiwan







When we were set apart, President Johnson blessed me so we could have a safe passage to our mission. And we did, thanks to the goodness of the Lord.

The church is teaming up with the government to send supplies to help with the flood victims. Missionaries were sent to help with cleaning up the mass. They are doing a great job with the relief effort.

Growing up in Hong Kong, I have had memories of typhoons which would give us some unexpected holidays. But a typhoon like this brings the treat real close to home.

We have settled into our apartment which is a 10 minutes' walk from church, the Taiwan temple and church office building. The rent is $ 600US per month which is very reasonable. We are getting better using our feet to get us to places.

A member took us to Costco for grocery shopping the other day. We walked 3 blocks to the subway station, took a train to Chung Huo, then took another bus to Costco. We hauled(dragged) back milk, cheese, ham, bread, cereals, all 26 lbs of groceries. We used the same route we took, and climbed 2 flights of stairs back to our apartment. The whole shopping spree took us 2 and half hours! What a silly thing to do!. Yet we felt proud of ourselves for having been able to do that. We will be prepared for any kind of emergency>

We are going to have a busy schedule. We work in the office 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. We'll travel to different parts of Taiwan to promote generalogy , answer calls as technical support, help in the temple and to do proselying work.

People envy us for not having have to learn a new language. But to us, the computer language is a NEW language. It is Greek to me all the times. Nevertheless I rely on the Lord to be my best teacher. When I was set apart, I was blessed with the promise that I would not be intimidated by the computer, that I would be proficient with the computer skills needed for my job. I have to say to myself, like the little Tot-Tot-Train "I think I can. I think I can"

Ether 12:27 "If a man come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble: and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselfes before me; for if they humble before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."

No comments:

Post a Comment